Sara Gilbert stands behind ABC's decision to cancel 'Roseanne'

Robert Samuels Washington Post

Robert Samuels Washington Post

Hours after Roseanne Barr sent a racist tweet about Valerie Jarrett, a former adviser to President Barack Obama, ABC canceled the show.

Speaking out for the first time since she tweeted following the show's cancellation, Gilbert, 43, said: "In addition to my statement, I would like to say this has been a very hard week".

Gilbert drew applause from the audience at multiple points during her statement, as well as the end.

"A lot of people have been hurt by this", she continued.

"Roseanne's Twitter statement is abhorrent, repugnant and inconsistent with our values, and we have made a decision to cancel her show", Channing Dungey, president of ABC Entertainment, said in a statement on May 29.

"It's sad to see it end in this way. However, I do stand behind the decision ABC made".

LPGA's Lincicome to tee it up on US PGA Tour
Growing up in Seminole, Lincicome played alongside her two older brothers at a par 3 course, where their father, Tom, taught them. Sorenstam, an LPGA Hall of Famer, played in the 2003 Colonial to considerable fanfare but missed the 36-hole cut.

Ch-ch-check out the clip (below)!

"Roseanne" star Sara Gilbert spoke about ABC's decision to cancel the show on "The Talk". Sara Gilbert was a guest on The Talk this morning, and she had no qualms speaking out about the upsetting turn of events that lost her and so many others their jobs.

She apologized Tuesday for her comments about Jarrett and has been noticeably silent on Twitter since Thursday.

On an episode of "Roseanne" Darlene and Roseanne are pictured in the kitchen. Her on-screen brother, Michael Fishman, posted a lengthy statement of his own, calling the comedian's joke "reprehensible and intolerable". So far, it's believed the show's patriarch, John Goodman, is "very interested". "And, I'm happy to see that it was done swiftly". She also claimed that she did not know that Jarrett is African-American.

However, mere minutes after Gilbert tweeted about Barr's comment - which Gilbert called "abhorrent" - ABC chose to cancel the show altogether.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.