S. Africa's ANC withdraws land-grabbing bill

British Prime Minister Theresa May

British Prime Minister Theresa May

Robert Mugabe is the former President of Zimbabwe.

Britain supports South Africa's land reform programme - provided it is carried out legally, according to prime minister Theresa May, who is now in the country as part of a one-day working visit.

The foreign minister says she's given her phone number to her U.S. counterpart Mike Pompeo to avoid a repeat of this.

Nonceba Mhlauli, a spokeswoman for the ANC's chief whip, said: "The bill in its current form would need to be re-considered in light of the process of reviewing Section 25 of the constitution for the expropriation of land without compensation".

Trump has not taken an official position on South African land reform, but he criticized the recent proposal under debate in South Africa's parliament based on a Fox News segment by host Tucker Carlson last week.

‘Star Wars 9’ Adds Matt Smith in Key Role
According to The Hollywood Reporter , Smith is in talks to join Star Wars: Episode IX , which is already in production. The news comes from Variety , citing unnamed sources, rather than Lucasfilm, so it's not an official announcement.

A "No entry sign" is seen at an entrance of a farm outside Witbank, Mpumalanga province, South Africa July 13, 2018. The draft, which has not been adopted so far, evoked widespread worldwide outrage and multiple media reports of alleged violence against white South African farmers, including murders.

South Africa's diplomats across the globe have been instructed by International Relations and Cooperation Minister Lindiwe Sisulu to embark upon a charm offensive following Donald Trump's misinformed tweet on land expropriation.

"South Africa totally rejects this narrow perception which only seeks to divide our nation and reminds us of our colonial past", the government tweeted.

The government is trying to change the status quo where the white community who only make up eight percent of the populations own 72 percent of the farms.

Killings of white farmers are at a 20-year low, with 47 farmers killed in 2017 and 2018, according to Reuters.

Recommended News

  • Dimitry Seluk: Yaya Toure has passed medical in London

    Dimitry Seluk: Yaya Toure has passed medical in London

    Fans queried if West Ham or Crystal Palace was the unknown destination for Toure but Seluk was quick to rule out both clubs. He wrote: 'Toure has passed a medical in London . "Yaya is close to signing a new contract", Seluk tweeted.
    Heat warning, severe thunderstorm watch in effect for Montreal

    Heat warning, severe thunderstorm watch in effect for Montreal

    There is a 30 per cent chance of showers in the afternoon with the risk of a thunderstorm, according to Environment Canada. There is about a 70 per cent chance of showers or thunderstorms Wednesday afternoon, with a forecast high of 31 C.
    John McCain's brother calls death an 'incredible shock'

    John McCain's brother calls death an 'incredible shock'

    There, "military pallbearers and band support, and a horse and caisson transport" will partake in a funeral service at the U.S. John McCain , it's easy to focus on all that he did - the sacrifice and victories, the wounds of war and the joy in service.
  • Magnitude 4.4 quake  hits in Los Angeles County, felt in San Diego

    Magnitude 4.4 quake hits in Los Angeles County, felt in San Diego

    According to the USGS , a preliminary 4.4 magnitude quake was recorded two-miles north of La Verne , CA at 7:33 pm. Police and fire departments dispatched personnel to check for damage.
    Real Madrid monitoring Raheem Sterling at Manchester City

    Real Madrid monitoring Raheem Sterling at Manchester City

    You can guess [his decision] but we do not have a reply from the player who is the one who is able to say one thing or another.
    Australia: Illegal boat runs into crocodile-infested waters

    Australia: Illegal boat runs into crocodile-infested waters

    Media reports said they may be from Vietnam, although a marine rescue official told broadcaster ABC it was an Indonesian boat. There are warnings about crocodiles in the area near the Daintree River ferry crossing in far north Queensland.
  • How to Upgrade Your Skills to MCSA: Windows Server 2016 Certification? ExamSnap Guide on Microsoft 70-743 Exam

    Depending on your behavior, it can be determined whether or not you are using exam dumps and if so, penalties will be imposed. As you can see the retake policy is a bit lenient, but it is still wise to make sure that you pass at the first attempt.
    Andy Murray battles past Duckworth. John Isner moves to round two

    Andy Murray battles past Duckworth. John Isner moves to round two

    A few weeks ago I was still struggling a lot. "I improved from there". "I just have to wait and see how I pull up tomorrow". Wimbledon finalist Kevin Anderson won a 5-set thriller 7-6, 5-7, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 against Ryan Harrison.
    A blockbuster primary in Florida and three-way fight in Arizona

    A blockbuster primary in Florida and three-way fight in Arizona

    The contest has been overshadowed in recent days by the death of John McCain , Arizona's longtime Republican senator, on Saturday. With a consistently conservative voting record, Arizonans elected McCain to the Senate six times, including in 2016.
  • The US Open Final: Who Will Make it?

    The 34-year-old Swiss won the first two sets 6-4 and 7-5, forcing an injured and struggling Djokovic to retire in the third. If she’s at her best, then she’ll make it to the final and if she performs on the day the title will be hers.
    Major fire at Primark store in Belfast city centre

    Major fire at Primark store in Belfast city centre

    Flames engulfed the roof of the structure, destroying the rooftop clock, before spreading through the five-story building. Emergency services attended the scene of a huge fire at a scrap metal recycling factory in Limerick overnight.
    Did 'Madden' tournament gunman have gaming addiction?

    Did 'Madden' tournament gunman have gaming addiction?

    People who play video games excessively can get addicted to the thrill, said Wolfson Children's Center psychiatric Dr. Johns River. "Hes a well-known competitor", said one gamer to WFOX-TV, who claimed to have beaten Katz on Saturday.

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.