Seven guilty of Rotherham child sexual abuse charges

Nabeel Kurshid 34 arrives at Sheffield Crown Court September 4 2018. A gang of 8 Asian men face a total of 45 child sex abuse offences as part of Operation Stovewood a police investigation into sexual abuse launched after the Rotherham grooming scanda

Nabeel Kurshid 34 arrives at Sheffield Crown Court September 4 2018. A gang of 8 Asian men face a total of 45 child sex abuse offences as part of Operation Stovewood a police investigation into sexual abuse launched after the Rotherham grooming scanda

One underage victim was "passed around" and had sex with 100 men by the time she was 16 years old, Sheffield Crown Court heard.

Seven men have been found guilty in what is the largest trial so far in the Rotherham sex abuse investigation.

"None of them had the maturity to understand that they were being groomed and exploited", she reportedly added.

The case arose from the National Crime Agency's inquiry into child sexual exploitation in Rotherham, which has identified more than 1,500 victims.

The seven men remained silent as Judge Sarah Wright remanded them into custody and adjourned their case until November 16 after guilty verdicts were delivered following a trial.

They are Mohammed Imran Ali Akhtar, 37; Nabeel Kurshid, 35; Iqlak Yousaf, 34; Tanweer Ali, 37; Salah Ahmed El-Hakam, 39; Asif Ali, 33; and another defendant who can not be named.

The jury heard how they were supplied with alcohol and drugs before being passed between men in Rotherham.

The prosecutor had told the jury, during the eight-week trial, that the gang had targetted the five girls because they "were easy targets" from broken homes who "wanted to be loved" and were "lured by the excitement of friendship with older Asian youths".

The investigation was set up following the 2014 Jay Report which exposed the failure of the United Kingdom authorities to prevent an appalling level of exploitation in Rotherham between the years 1997 and 2013.

China’s First Private Rocket Launch Fails
It privatised parts of the space industry in 2014, allowing private companies to develop small satellites and launch rockets. China's first private satellite launch was unsuccessful due to the carrier rocket failing to reach orbit, Reuters reported.

Ms Colborne said the girl was bitten during the attack, leaving marks on her neck.

Another young victim became pregnant and had to have an abortion. Her parents forced her to have a termination. They also have spurred criticism of local authorities, who failed to protect vulnerable girls, and of police, who often didn't listen to victims they regarded as troublesome teenagers.

Ajmal Rafiq, 39, was acquitted of all charges.

Nabeel Kurshid, 34, of Warwick Street, Rotherham, was charged with two rapes and one indecent assault.

Tanweer Ali, 37, was found guilty of two rapes, two indecent assaults and one charge of false imprisonment.

Salah Ahmed El-Hakam, 39, was found guilty of one rape.

Tanweer Ali (37), of Rotherham, was found guilty of two counts of rape, two counts of indecent assault, and one count of false imprisonment.

Iqlak Yousaf, 34, Tooker Road, Rotherham, was charged with two rapes and two indecent assaults.

A seventh defendant, who can not be named for legal reasons, was found guilty of two rapes.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.