At least 3 dead after buildings collapse in Marseille

Authorities fear more people may be trapped under the rubble

Authorities fear more people may be trapped under the rubble

One of the buildings was vacant but the other housed apartments.

A spokesman for the Marseille Firefighters told The Associated Press on Tuesday that a man's body was recovered, in addition to the bodies of another man and a woman they found earlier.

Rescuers have found a second body in the rubble of two buildings that collapsed in Marseille.

The first building collapsed Monday morning and an adjacent building came down eight hours later. "During the first clearing operations we've found some pockets of air that means we still have some hope of finding and identifying a survivor".

Prosecutors said the bodies of a man and woman were found separately Tuesday under the 15-metre (50-foot) pile of rubble on Rue d'Aubagne, a narrow shopping street which now resembles the scene of an quake.

Fire officials deliberately brought down most of a third building due to concerns the unstable structure might cave on top of search crews and sniffer dogs combing the rubble of the other buildings.

"People died for nothing, even though we knew".

FA appeals against decision to clear José Mourinho over touchline language
Mourinho had been thought to have escaped a touchline ban following the original commission decision but this now remains a possibility.

"It's been 10 years that I have been living here and I have never had anyone come and inspect my apartment", said a woman who identified herself as Sophie.

Only one of the buildings was occupied, as the two others were in such a bad state that they had been condemned. The disaster, he added, was "100 percent the fault of city hall".

"The most important is saving lives", Castaner added from the scene.

Abdou Ali, 34, came in search of his mother after she did not come to collect her youngest son from school on Monday afternoon.

Recall that on 5 November it became known that two houses collapsed in Marseille. However, according to neighbors, it is at the time of the tragedy could be people, particularly the homeless.

The buildings were in a small shopping street in the centre of the city.

But a 2015 government report said some 100,000 Marseille residents were living in housing that was risky to their health or security.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.