New Zealand fisherman stumbles across toddler in the sea

The baby was scooped out of the water at Matata Bay in northern New Zealand

The baby was scooped out of the water at Matata Bay in northern New Zealand

Gus Hutt, who was vacationing at Murphy's Holiday Camp with his wife, Sue, was fishing near Matata Beach on North Island around 7 a.m. on October 26 when he says he spotted a small figure floating in the water.

"She was like 'Do you guys have a young child?' Then she said he's been found in the water", said Whyte.

"His face looked just like porcelain with his short hair wetted down, but then and he let out a little squeak and I thought "oh God this is a baby and it's alive".

A New Zealand man fishing near a popular campground last month unwittingly saved the life of an 18-month old baby he found floating in the water.

Murphy's Holiday Camp co-owner Rebecca Salter told The Associated Press that the rescue was "miraculous and fateful" after Hutt, a regular at the campground, had chose to fish at a different spot than usual and the sea had been particularly calm.

A fisherman has pulled a baby boy from waters off Matata Beach in New Zealand.

"He was floating at a steady pace with a rip in the water". "But he just wasn't meant to go; it wasn't his time". In his excitement to explore the area, he had unzipped his parents' tent while they were asleep and crawled out onto the sands.

Drew, Cavs agree to contract for rest of season
Counting this season's three games as coach, Drew has a record of 144-171. The team made the announcement official shortly after ESPN reported it.

Malachi's mother, Jessica Whyte was woken at about 7.30am to the camp manager informing her that Malachi had been rescued from the sea.

His wife Sue rushed back to the holiday camp to find the child's parents. "I don't think my heart [beat] from hearing that to seeing him".

"My husband came around the corner with the baby in his arms", she said.

But after treatment from paramedics he was given the all clear and Whyte said he was unaffected by his ordeal. When he later traced the baby's footprints down the beach, he said that Malachi entered the water about 15 metres away from where he had been fishing.

Emergency services arrived with the Matata Volunteer Fire Brigade treating the boy for 15 minutes before an ambulance arrived to take him to Whakatāne Hospital. It's a freakish miracle, ' Salter added. Police briefly attended the scene but said they were not taking any further action.

"He was wriggling, trying to get down to have a look at everything", he told the Whakatane Beacon.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.