No foul play in Saudi sisters' death in NY

Saudi sisters found dead in New York spoke of harming themselves police say

Saudi sisters found dead in New York spoke of harming themselves police say

The New York Police Department said there is no evidence the sisters went anywhere else after arriving in New York, and took various forms of transportation while making their way to the city. "But we're not ruling anything out".

The medical examiner has yet to rule on their death and the case remains under investigation, he added.

Investigators said they had not determined the circumstances surrounding their fate, but were "puzzled" as to how they came to be found dead on a riverbank more than 400km from their family's home.

A witness told police he saw the women in a park on West 158th Street in Upper Manhattan on the morning of October 24, while he was out exercising. There were no obvious signs of trauma and it appeared that they were alive when they went into the water, police said.

The bodies of Tala Farea, 16, and Rotana Farea, 22, were seen floating along the Hudson River that afternoon, police said.

The jogger who said he saw the sisters praying went to the police on Thursday.

A witness has come forward to reveal that he believes he saw the two women praying in a park on 158th Street on the morning of October 24, just a few miles upstream from where their bodies were found later that day.

Fatimah Baeshen, spokeswoman for Saudi Arabia's U.S. embassy in Washington, tweeted that "Reports that we ordered anyone related to the Saudi sisters, Tala and Rotana Farea, God rest their souls, (who recently died tragically in NY), to leave the USA for seeking asylum; are absolutely false". They are also trying to determine whether either of them had met with any counselors or therapists in recent weeks, two police sources told ABC News.

Tala and Rotana moved to the U.S. from Saudi Arabia with their mother in 2015, settling in Fairfax, a suburb of Washington D.C., police said.

There is no cure for HIV/AIDS infection
On the website, Magaya claimed that they had conducted some clinical trials and concluded that Aguma could cure the diseases. The World Health Organization in the wake of the claims by the prophet said there is "no cure" for HIV.

Tala and Rotana moved to the United States from Saudi Arabia with their mother in 2015, settling in Fairfax, a suburb of Washington DC, police said. He told detectives it had been "haunting him", Shea said.

The sister had a history of running away from their family's home in Virginia where they had not lived since the end of 2017.

Through mostly electronic evidence, such as credit card transactions and ATM withdrawals, detectives have determined that Tala and Rotana Farea used various transportation to travel from Fairfax to Washington, D.C., then to Philadelphia and on to New York City, where they arrived on September 1.

While in New York City, they stayed in Midtown hotels, ordered room service twice a day and maxed out their credit cards shopping.

The sisters were last seen in Fairfax on August 24, but had not been living at home since November of 2017 after reportedly being abused by their mother, father and brother.

They appeared in good health on security video police located from about a week before their bodies were found, Shea said.

They stayed in several different upscale hotels in the city and maxed out a credit card, according to a NYPD spokesman quoted by U.S. media.

He stopped short of saying that the sisters had taken their own lives, but said police have "no credible information that any crime took place".

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.