Suspect pleads guilty to all 47 charges in fatal swatting incident

Enlarge this image

Enlarge this image

Tyler Barriss, known for being the infamous "swatter" whose actions led to the death of an innocent man named Andrew Finch in December 2017, has pleaded guilty to a total of 51 charges and will serve 20 to 25 years in prison, as the BBC reports.

Swatting is a way to harass or threaten someone by calling in a false threat to law enforcement, and, when successful, it usually results in a police SWAT team showing up needlessly at its victim's house.

The 25-year-old from Los Angeles allegedly made a false report that resulted in Wichita, Kansas, police officers fatally shooting unarmed 28-year-old Andrew Finch on December 28, 2017.

"Without ever stepping foot in Wichita, the defendant created a chaotic situation that quickly turned from risky to deadly", U.S. Attorney Stephen McAllister said in a news release.

When he unexpectedly dropped his hands, the 28-year-old was shot and killed, according to the US Department of Justice. "His reasons were trivial and his disregard for the safety of other people was staggering".

Five die in California wildfires, 150,000 forced to flee
The TV series "Westworld" is among the many productions that have filmed at the ranch in the mountains west of Los Angeles. Fire officials said three firefighters and some civilians were wounded but details about their injuries were unknown.

Barriss faces another trial for involuntary manslaughter against Finch on January 7, while alleged co-conspirators Viner and Gaskill, who have pleaded not guilty to their charges, go to court on January 8.

Tyler Barriss was indicted in May in the "swatting" hoax - making a fake emergency services calls that send police to another person's address - over an argument between two Call of Duty players. Specifically, Barriss, of Los Angeles, California, admitted making a false report resulting in Finch's death, plus cyberstalking, and conspiracy. Authorities say Viner then asked Barriss of Los Angeles to "swat" Gaskill at an address that Gaskill had previously provided him. Both have pleaded not guilty.

Barriss will be sentenced on January 30, 2019, while Viner, 18, of OH, and Gaskill, 20, of Kansas, are still awaiting trial after denying any wrongdoing. Gaskill found out Barriss was stalking him and, in messages over the Internet, he dared Barriss to carry out the swat.

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) - A California man accused of making a hoax phone call that led police to fatally shoot an unarmed man past year in Wichita will be in federal court to enter new pleas.

The deadly police shooting occurred after Barriss allegedly called to report a shooting at a Wichita home following an online dispute over a video game between two gamers. When police officers arrived at the door responding to what they thought was a hostage situation, they shot and killed new resident Finch, who had no idea what was happening.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.