Fatal brain-eating amoeba may have come from woman’s neti pot

Американская пенсионерка едва не лишилась мозга из-за питья загрязненной воды

Американская пенсионерка едва не лишилась мозга из-за питья загрязненной воды

Whether it's from a cold or allergies, a runny or stuffy nose is incredibly annoying, and one of the at-home treatments that's gained traction in recent years is the use of a "neti pot" to run water through the sinuses. Ultimately, the 69-year-old woman died a month later after the surgery.

Dr. Jennifer Cope, a CDC epidemiologist, told the Seattle Times that three types of brain-eating amoebas have been identified as causing these types of fatal infections: Naegleria fowleri, Acanthamoeba spp. and B. mandrillaris.

A fatal brain infection reportedly took the life a Seattle woman who doctors believe improperly used a neti pot.

A neti pot is a teapot shaped product used to rinse out the sinuses and naval cavity, according to a study recently published in the International Journal of Infectious Diseases.

A year after the rash first appeared, she suffered a seizure. Her doctor told her it was rosacea and prescribed an ointment, according to the report. The mass was growing, and new lesions were starting to show up. Tap water can contain tiny organisms that are safe to drink but could survive in nasal passages.

There are warnings on neti pots that say, "Do not use with tap water".

Американская пенсионерка едва не лишилась мозга из-за питья загрязненной воды

Doctors thought a tumour was the reason for her collapse and a CT scan at the Swedish Medical Center showed a 1.5cm lesion on her brain.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention rushed the anti-amoeba drug miltefosine to Seattle to try to save the woman's life, but she fell into a coma and died.

Once it has infected a person, the amoeba can cause an incredibly serious and nearly universally fatal condition known as "granulomateous amoebic encephalitis", or GAE.

It goes without saying, but if you regularly use neti pots or similar sinus irrigation devices, always make sure you're using sterile water and not whatever is coming out of your tap. There were three similar US cases from 2008 to 2017.

Damaged tissue was removed, and the woman was discharged home. They hope her case will let other doctors know to consider an amoeba infection if a patient gets a sore or rash on the nose after rinsing their sinuses. "So that's what we suspect is the source of the infection".

5 children dead after OH house fire
A woman injured in an OH house fire that killed her five young children is being treated at a Cleveland hospital. The children ranged in age from 9 to 1 years old, according to Youngstown councilwoman Anita Davis.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.