Google+ Is Shutting Down Three Months Early After New Privacy Bug

Google+ to shut down early after second flaw exposes data of 52 million users

Google+ to shut down early after second flaw exposes data of 52 million users

Google revealed today a second bug in the Google+ API that could have been abused to steal the private data of almost 52.5 million users.

Apparently, a fresh new bug was introduced in Google+ that resulted in developers getting access to data of about 52.5 million users.

While the API bug did potentially impact tens of millions of users, Google asserts that it has found no evidence of the exploit being acted upon or the data being misused. The search giant had initially announced it would close down Google+ in August of next year, a deadline that itself had been established because the social network was the inadvertent cause of a security lapse. Originally expected to shut down in August 2019, the service will now shut down in April 2019 instead.

The disclosure comes one day before Google CEO Sundar Pichai is set to testify before Congress to address concerns about political bias on its platforms.

Controversy erupts as fans denied to bring flags to game
Leinster fans had the last laugh and wore blue Santa hats as the Irish club all but extinguished Bath's Champions Cup dreams, defeating the homeside 17-10.

According to an incident report published by Google earlier today, this second bug resided in the Google+ People API endpoint that apps and developers used to get information about user profiles.

Google announced it has found a second vulnerability in Google+. The company also said it would inform affected users, including "any enterprise customers".

In addition to moving the Google+ sunset date four months forward, Google also said it would be shutting down all Google+ APIs for the Google+ consumer version within 90 days, way before its April 2019 shutdown date.

"We understand that our ability to build reliable products that protect your data drives user trust", David Thacker, vice president of product management for Google's G Suite products, said in a blog post. In October, Google admitted it had failed for six months to reveal information about a bug that put at risk the data of hundreds of thousands of users. Google said it still planned to give users the opportunity to transition off of consumer Google+ and would provide them with information on ways to safely and securely download their data and move it to other services, if wanted.

Recommended News

  • NASA's Voyager 2 spacecraft is now flying through the stars

    NASA's Voyager 2 spacecraft is now flying through the stars

    This illustration shows the positions of the Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 probes in interstellar space, outside the heliosphere. At 4pm today, Nasa will hold a press conference called " Voyager 2: Updates on the Journey to Interstellar Space".
    Ravens Issue Statement Condemning Offensive Tweets By Patrick Ricard

    Ravens Issue Statement Condemning Offensive Tweets By Patrick Ricard

    Ricard, a second-year player, was inactive for Sunday's game against Kansas City, the day after the tweets came to light. Anderson, a veteran running back who used to play for the Denver Broncos, when the pair tried out last Monday.
    The Feds Have Proof That Connect The Rapper To Robberies And More

    The Feds Have Proof That Connect The Rapper To Robberies And More

    Police say the images prove Shotti conducted the robbery and they believe Tekashi watched from the street and recorded video. That's right, Tekashi 6ix9ine , Lance Lazarro, and his legal associate are vowing to never take a plea deal.
  • Celtics hand Bulls franchise worst loss, win by 56

    Celtics hand Bulls franchise worst loss, win by 56

    I think regardless of whatever the score is, I want to go out there and compete, but obviously we didn't get a chance to do that. On Saturday, they were without big men Al Horford, Aron Baynes, Robert Williams and Guerschon Yabusele.
    Nissan GT-R50 confirmed for production

    Nissan GT-R50 confirmed for production

    The GT-R50 is a collaboration between the legendary design house Italdesign Giugiaro and Japanese manufacturer Nissan. It was built to celebrate 50 years of the GT-R and 50 years of Italdesign.
    The Astonishing Lionel Messi Statistic That Surpasses Liverpool, Chelsea And Real Madrid

    The Astonishing Lionel Messi Statistic That Surpasses Liverpool, Chelsea And Real Madrid

    The France global winger is into just his second season at Camp Nou, but questions continue to be asked of his ongoing presence. The World Cup victor has scored eight times so far this season as Barca sit three points clear at the top of La Liga .
  • Mueller provides new details on Cohen and Manafort's lies

    Mueller provides new details on Cohen and Manafort's lies

    Mueller also detailed alleged lies told by Manafort during interviews with prosecutors and the Federal Bureau of Investigation . White House press secretary Sarah Sanders released a statement late Friday that said, "The government's filings in Mr.
    Almost  1,000 people arrested during violent protests in Paris

    Almost 1,000 people arrested during violent protests in Paris

    Mr Le Maire said last week, before the most recent protests, that the restaurant trade had declined by between 20% and 50% . President Donald Trump not to interfere in French politics, following Trump's tweets on weeks of protests in Paris.
    Ted Baker boss takes leave of absence

    Ted Baker boss takes leave of absence

    It said the company would make no further comment about the nature of the allegations while they remain under investigation. Ted Baker said its committee and board had been made aware of "further serious allegations" against Mr Kelvin.
  • Next round of Yemen talks will tackle political solution

    Next round of Yemen talks will tackle political solution

    Earlier on Monday, a document seen by Al Jazeera proposed that the Houthis withdraw from Hodeidah as part of a ceasefire deal. The Saudi-UAE coalition has accused Iran of smuggling weapons through Hodeidah's port, a charge Tehran and the rebels deny.
    Shahid Kapoor clears the air on being diagnosed with stomach cancer

    Shahid Kapoor clears the air on being diagnosed with stomach cancer

    The film, which also starred Shraddha Kapoor and Yami Gautam, did not perform well at the box-office. The film is being helmed by Sandeep Vanga, who also directed the original 2017 Telugu blockbuster.
    Man at center of NC fraud investigation speaks as Republican denies wrongdoing

    Man at center of NC fraud investigation speaks as Republican denies wrongdoing

    Neither Harris, nor the head of the Red Dome Group, Andy Yates, responded to messages seeking comment. State law allows only a family member or legal guardian to drop off absentee ballots for a voter.

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.