Thousands still without power in B.C. after severe windstorm

Open this

Open this

Gusts of more than 100 km/h in some areas uprooted trees, sent debris flying, busted up a pier in white Rock, forced the cancellation of ferries and flights, and damaged the water treatment plant in Nanaimo.

The City of White Rock also cut power for an area bounded by North Bluff Road and Roper Street from Johnston Road to Best Street on Saturday for "restoration emergency work".

The storm has also cancelled ferries on most routes today.

At the peak of the storm, around 335,000 were without power in the Lower Mainland, Fraser Valley, Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island.

High winds have knocked out power across the B.C. Coast, with multiple, widespread outages across Vancouver Island, Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley.

In the Lower Mainland, crews are working to restore power to more than 15,000 customers.

Over 530,000 customers have gotten their power back since the storm hit on Thursday.

The Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre in Victoria says on Twitter a helicopter crew successfully hoisted the person to safety. It says the storm was one of the worst windstorms it has experienced in 20 years.

Express Scripts Holding Co (NASDAQ:ESRX) Shares Sold by Fifth Third Bancorp
Controlling emotions and conducting the necessary research can help the investor make the hard decisions when they crop up. With the stock market still cruising along, investors may be wondering how to trade the market into the next few quarters.

About 30 metres of the nearly 500-metre-long pier washed away after it was pummelled by waves and at least three boats that had become unmoored.

"The damage that was done to our pier appears to be something that will take some months for us to recoup from, it's extremely damaged", he said. He said the city has already spoken with the federal and provincial governments to hopefully get some financial assistance.

Nanaimo residents and businesses are also being asked to conserve water as the windstorm and power outages have damaged the city's water treatment plant delivery system.

It said the outage could last until between 6 p.m. and 7 p.m.

One person died in Duncan when a tree came down and more details are expected to be released later.

A Vancouver police officer looks up at a tree that fell onto a house in Vancouver on Thursday, Dec. 19, 2018.

The death remains under investigation by Mounties and the BC Coroner's Service.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.