ISIS claims responsibility for attack on USA forces in Hassakeh

Coalition vehicle damaged in a car bomb attack on an SDF checkpoint near Shadadi in Hasakah province

Coalition vehicle damaged in a car bomb attack on an SDF checkpoint near Shadadi in Hasakah province

US military Col. Sean Ryan said there were no casualties among the USA -led coalition members.

"We can confirm a combined USA and Syrian partner force convoy was involved in an apparent VBIED [vehicle-borne improvised explosive device] attack today in Syria. We will continue to review the situation and provide updates as appropriate", Ryan said.

Four Americans - two members of the military, a Pentagon civilian and a contractor - were killed in a blast that targeted a restaurant in the city centre on 16 January.

The attacks targeting the US-led coalition and its allies on the ground come a month after US President Donald Trump's surprise announcement that he had ordered a complete troop pullout from Syria.

Mr Trump announced in a tweet that Isil had been defeated in Syria and he would pull American forces out of the country.

ISIS claimed responsibility for a suicide attack targeting a joint USA and Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) armored convoy south of the city of Shaddadi, Syria, on Monday, the SITE Intelligence Group reported citing the ISIS-affiliated Amaq News agency.

ISIS released a statement on its Aamaq news agency claiming responsibility for the blast which it says targeted United States troops and US-backed Kurdish forces near a checkpoint south of the town of Al Shadadeh. The Kurdish agency says it did not, but some Turkish sources state as many as five people were killed by the explosion.

The UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said five members of the Washington-backed Syrian Democratic Forces were killed in the blast.

Derby Confirm Signing of Former Chelsea Defender Ashley Cole on Short-Term Deal
Cole, who won multiple trophies alongside Lampard at Chelsea including the Champions League, said he relished the challenge. Derby boss Lampard added: "I'm delighted that we've been able to secure Ashley's services for the rest of the season".

But the US President's move shocked US military officials and local partners who were not consulted on the withdrawal. That plan triggered immediate pushback from military leaders and led to the resignation of Defence Secretary Jim Mattis.

Trump and other senior USA officials have since sent mixed messages about the pace and scope of the withdrawal.

The US had previously reported only two American personnel killed in combat in Syria, in separate incidents.

The Monday explosion struck at a checkpoint near the town of Shaddadi.

"A bomb-laden auto driven by a terrorist tried to target a coalition convoy as it passed by, lightly wounding a female member of the Asayesh", the statement said, reporting no other injuries. The war monitor said two American soldiers were also wounded.

The EU began imposing sanctions on Assad and his supporters in 2011, after peaceful protests erupted against his family's decades-long rule and the government launched a violent crackdown on dissent.

The measures include an oil embargo, investment restrictions, a freeze on Syrian central bank assets held in the European Union, and export bans on equipment that could be used to crack down on civilians.

Recommended News

  • Marathon man Bautista Agut into quarters after ending Cilic challenge

    Marathon man Bautista Agut into quarters after ending Cilic challenge

    Roberto Bautista Agut came through a third Australian Open five-setter today to knock out 2018 finalist and sixth seed Marin Cilic in the fourth round.
    Mexico Pipeline Blast Death Toll Climbs to More Than 70

    Mexico Pipeline Blast Death Toll Climbs to More Than 70

    His administration also shut down pipelines to detect and deter illegal taps, relying more on delivering fuel by tanker truck. Fuel thieves punctured the Tula-Tuxpan pipeline a few miles from one of Mexico's main refineries on Friday.
    Lego and Chevy Debut Life-Size Silverado Pickup Made from 334,000 Bricks

    Lego and Chevy Debut Life-Size Silverado Pickup Made from 334,000 Bricks

    Chevy just unveiled its first-ever full-size Lego truck, and it's the ride toy lovers have been waiting for. Pictures to get the truck in " The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part ", which hits theaters on February 8.
  • Assembly decks cleared for no-deal Brexit preparations

    Assembly decks cleared for no-deal Brexit preparations

    Some MPs saw the wording as a significant shift in narrowing Labour's choices for what it will eventually support in the Commons. This will raise the chances for a second referendum but without committing the leadership at this stage to support it.
    'The Avocado Toast Whisperer': Meghan Markle Given Nickname by Pal

    'The Avocado Toast Whisperer': Meghan Markle Given Nickname by Pal

    In the image, a green teapot sits next to four slices of avocado on toast, which appear to be served on silver plates. The source added: "She doesn't feel safe enough to go out on her own without protection".
    Maruti Baleno officially teased ahead of launch - Bookings open

    Maruti Baleno officially teased ahead of launch - Bookings open

    The company has announced that its Nexa dealership chain has commenced accepting bookings for the updated model. The facelifted version of the Baleno will get updated exteriors, which will keep it fresh in the market.
  • Nadal wary of ‘dangerous’ Tiafoe

    Nadal wary of ‘dangerous’ Tiafoe

    The 33-year-old Berdych agreed. "I mean, Australians, of course, will be on her side, but that was the same in Sydney". Of course, he's risky , he's in the quarter-finals.
    May faces fresh Commons fights over Brexit UK News

    May faces fresh Commons fights over Brexit UK News

    That caution led Wollaston to withdraw her amendment to the prime minister's Brexit deal last week. Leo Varadkar, Ireland's prime minister, insists the Irish border backstop could not be diluted.
    Click to Pray: Pope launches prayer app

    Click to Pray: Pope launches prayer app

    Pope Francis launched the app to coincide with the World Youth Day festival set to begin this Wednesday, January 23rd. The pontiff has a profile on the Android and iOS app that shows Catholics around the globe what he's now praying for.
  • Sharapova unimpressed with questions after Melbourne exit

    Sharapova unimpressed with questions after Melbourne exit

    I gave myself opportunities in lots of games in the third set, I couldn't take it. 'There is absolutely nothing better'. Barty returned to tennis in 2016 with a new enthusiasm for the game. "I needed to take that time away", said Barty.
    Kohli sweeps all three top ICC awards

    Kohli sweeps all three top ICC awards

    Indian skipper Kohli has been given the mantle to lead both the Tests and ODI sides. Reacting to the news, an elated Kohli said: "It has been an incredible year.
    Election Commission Rubbishes London Hacker's Claims On EVMs

    Election Commission Rubbishes London Hacker's Claims On EVMs

    He said that he and his team were instructed by the ECIL to find out if EVMs could be hacked, and find out how to do this. He said these allegations were part of an exercise to "defame" India and people will never accept such attempts.

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.