Student died after eating leftover pasta in rare food poisoning case

The pasta was left unrefrigerated for five days according to the Journal of Clinical Microbiology

The pasta was left unrefrigerated for five days according to the Journal of Clinical Microbiology

A video featuring the case was shared on YouTube earlier in January and has shocked several users.

According to a post mortem he died suddenly from food poisoning caused by bacillus cereus - a spore-forming bacteria that produces vomit or diarrhoea-causing toxins.

The 20-year-old student from Belgium used to cook on Sundays to prepare his meals for the whole upcoming week to save time and money.

The 20-year-old, called AJ, is said to have eaten an old portion of spaghetti that he had cooked five days previously, but had been left on the side for around two days.

We've all been guilty of drinking milk or munching on snacks that are a few days past their sell-by date, but eating food that's been left out on the kitchen counter for nearly a week is a risky move. His lifeless body was discovered 11 hours later by his parents who became concerned after he failed to attend college.

After hours of sickness, AJ treated his symptoms as regular food poisoning, by keeping hydrated and trying to sleep it off.

In the YouTube clip, Dr. Bernard, a man who said he is a licensed provider trained and based in the United States, surmised the pasta shut down A.J.'s liver.

According to Foodsafety.gov, illness caused by bacillus cereus can be caused by a "variety of foods". Which points us to the final answer of AJ's case.

Obesity, bad nutrition, climate change 'a triple danger'
But Tim Rycroft, of the Food and Drink Federation, said: "Drawing a comparison between tobacco and food is deeply irresponsible". Food and beverage giants have already been shifting toward healthier products and have been cutting fat and sodium levels.

Professor Barnard claims AJ's death was not a typical food poising case, and that liver failure was triggered in part by an overdose of stomach medication.

This is important because sometimes food can be tainted without smelling or looking spoiled.

The report's authors said the pasta had been stored at room temperature before the the student warmed it up in the microwave.

He said: 'Many people eat pasta, or any other form of noodles, that are leftover for a day or two and they're fine.

Even though AJ was right in that he did get food poisoning, his case was much more serious than most.

I come from a big family so when I cook I tend to go a bit overboard with the quantity so there's nearly always extra food that can't be finished in one sitting.

'That was kinda dumb but not really something you expect to kill you a day later, ' one person wrote.

As scary as this story may be, it shouldn't stop you from eating leftover pasta or rice again.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.