Teen in Lincoln Memorial protest sues Washington Post for $250 million

Lawsuit filed on behalf of Nicholas Sandmann seeks $250M in damages from WaPo

Lawsuit filed on behalf of Nicholas Sandmann seeks $250M in damages from WaPo

Attorneys for a Kentucky high school student who was at the center of a viral video controversy are suing the Washington Post, seeking $250 million in damages. Sandmann's attorneys Lin Wood and Todd McMurtry filed the complaint in U.S. District Court in Kentucky.

The 22-page lawsuit claims the Washington Post ignored journalistic standards and bullied Nick Sandman for three days.

The suit furthermore claims the Post has a "well-known" bias against President Donald Trump, of whom the red MAGA cap became a symbol during the 2016 presidential campaign and is still worn by his supporters.

"This is only the beginning", said the firm's website, adding that the $250 million in damages was also the amount paid by Amazon owner Jeff Bezos when he bought the paper in 2013.

"The Post rushed to lead the mainstream media to assassinate Nicholas' character and bully him", the lawsuit says, alleging that readers were given the false impression that Nicholas instigated a confrontation and then engaged in racist conduct.

In a post to Twitter last weekend, Wood said he would start filing defamation suits against news outlets this week.

"At all times, Nicholas acted respectfully, responsibly, appropriately, and in a manner consistent with the values instilled upon him by his family and his religious faith", the firm said.

The objective of the lawsuit against the Post, the lawsuit says, is "to seek legal redress for its negligent, reckless, and malicious attacks on Nicholas which caused permanent damage to his life and reputation".

Police discover new bomb at al-Darb al-Ahmar explosion site
On Saturday, the Egyptian military said 15 of its personnel had been killed in a clash in North Sinai in which seven militants were also killed.

Sandmann, a student at Covington Catholic High School, was in Washington on January 18 for the annual March for Life rally wearing a red Make American Great Again hat.

The Washington Post's Vice President for Communications Kristine Coratti Kelly said: 'We are reviewing a copy of the lawsuit and we plan to mount a vigorous defense'.

More extensive video of the events told a radically different story, showing the boys were subjected to racist abuse by a group of Black Hebrew Israelites, before Phillips waded into the group of students and banged his drum directly in Sandmann's face.

An independent investigation commissioned by the Diocese of Covington found that the accounts from the Covington Catholic High School were consistent and concluded that there was no wrongdoing by the students that were excoriated in the mainstream media.

Several weeks ago, the teen's lawyers sent "letters for potential lawsuits to over 50 entities ranging from Democratic politicians to celebrities to media figures".

Phillips claimed in a separate video that he heard the students chanting "build that wall", during the encounter, a reference to Trump's pledge to build a barrier along the USA border with Mexico.

Cable News Network, Inc.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.