Woman dies after eating mushrooms at exclusive restaurant

Woman dies 18 others ill after eating mushrooms at Michelin-starred restaurant in Spain

Woman dies 18 others ill after eating mushrooms at Michelin-starred restaurant in Spain

A Michelin-starred restaurant in Spain has closed while authorities investigate the death of a woman who ate a dish of mushrooms that can be poisonous if not carefully cooked.

Maria Jesus Fernandez Calvo, 46, ate a dish of rice and morchella mushrooms at RiFF restaurant in Valencia on Saturday night, the Telegraph reported.

Calvo, an optician, died Sunday morning at home after suffering bouts of vomiting and diarrhea - though it's not clear whether she died from poisoning or asphyxiation from vomit in her lungs.

Almost 20 others, including the victim's husband and son, also allegedly suffered from food poisoning symptoms after eating a meal at RiFF in Valencia, El Pais reported.

However, it will not be possible to confirm.

She stopped short of attributing Calvo's death to the morchella mushroom she ordered, and said autopsy results would have to come through before a cause of death could be determined.

"We've conducted a primary inspection of the establishment and everything appears to be normal", Ana Barcelo, the regional health chief, told El Pais. The fungus can't be consumed raw because it contains hydrazine toxins.

Microsoft uncovers major European Union hacking campaign
The German Council on Foreign Relations declined to offer details, citing the ongoing investigation. USA authorities have tied the group to Russia's main intelligence agency, known as the GRU.

A woman has died after eating a dish containing morchella mushrooms at RiFF restaurant in Spain.

"I've taken the decision to close the restaurant until we know the precise causes and can reopen with the necessary guarantees for the safety of both staff and customers", Knöller said. The chef added that preliminary inspections had found that the restaurant had complied with the necessary health regulations.

RiFF will remain closed as the investigation continues, owner and head chef Bernd H. Knoller said in a statement.

Public health officials checked the restaurant on Monday but couldn't find anything that could have contributed to food poisoning.

"I have offered my complete cooperation to the Valencian health authority from the very start in order to clear up the facts, with the hope that we can establish the causes as soon as possible", said Knöller, who began his culinary career in the United Kingdom in the 1980s.

The chef also announced on Twitter he's cancelled two dinners as part of the Valencia Culinary Festival.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.