British soldier faces murder charges for Northern Ireland's 1972 'Bloody Sunday' killings

A former British soldier is set to be prosecuted in connection with the deaths of two civil rights protester

A former British soldier is set to be prosecuted in connection with the deaths of two civil rights protester

The marchers had been protesting Britain's detention of suspected Irish nationalists in the majority Catholic area of the Bogside in Derry on what became known as "Bloody Sunday", January 30, 1972. He will also face prosecution for the attempted murder of Joseph Friel, Michael Quinn, Joe Mahon, and Patrick O'Donnell. Nonetheless, he said the relatives were happy for the families of the six victims who will now see a soldier prosecuted.

The families had marched together from the scene of the shootings in Derry's Bogside neighbourhood to a city centre hotel on Thursday morning to be informed of the PPS's long-awaited decisions.

Following the inquiry's conclusion in 2010, then prime minister David Cameron said the killings were unjustified and unjustifiable.

Darragh Macken, a lawyer for the Nash family, said the prosecutors' decision may be challenged in the High Court in Belfast.

William McKinney, 27, was shot in the back while fleeing the police.

He said: "We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland. It does not mean that those soldiers acted in a dignified and appropriate way".

"The full cost of Bloody Sunday can not be measured just in those who died that day".

Former Coldstream Guardsman Vern Tilbury, 58, accused the country of "spitting on" its veterans and said the Government looked upon former soldiers as "collateral damage".

He said: "We are not happy".

But "in respect of the other 18 suspects, including 16 former soldiers and two alleged Official IRA members, it has been concluded that the available evidence is insufficient to provide a reasonable prospect of conviction", a prosecutor's statement said.

"The full cost of Bloody Sunday can not be measured just in terms of those who suffered that day", he said, "but must also be measured in terms of those who suffered because of that bad day".

They got the British Government to apologise for what happened on Bloody Sunday.

Fiscal watchdog slashes United Kingdom growth forecast to lowest since financial crisis
He added: "I need to be straight with the House: a no-deal Brexit would deliver a significant short- to medium-term reduction in the productive capacity of the British economy".

"With today's news, we now achieve our third aim".

The more credible Saville inquiry didn't begin until 1998.

Officials in Northern Ireland said Thursday that one former British soldier would be prosecuted on murder charges in connection with the massacre of unarmed civilians by British forces almost 50 years ago in Londonderry, an event that came to be known as Bloody Sunday. Picture Margaret McLaughlin 14-3-2019.

Mr Kelly, whose brother, Michael (17) was one of those killed, said: "The dead can not cry out for justice". It is the duty of the living to do so far them. We were there to protect civilians from the terrorists who preyed upon them.

"For us here today, it is important to point out that justice for one family is justice for all of us". Some broke down in tears as they left a private meeting with Director of Public Prosecutions Stephen Herron.

But despite what had clearly for many had been an emotional and disappointing result, there was also solidarity within the families who received more hopeful news.

"Notwithstanding the families' inevitable disappointment today, the prosecution of Soldier F is significant given the denial of the British government for many years".

14-03-2019: Mickey McKinney who lost brother William, John Kelly who lost brother Michael and Alana Burke who was badly injured on the day.

"The decision to prosecute just one ex-soldier does not change the fact that Bloody Sunday was a massacre of innocents", said Sinn Fein's Northern Ireland leader, Michelle O'Neill.

"Different families will have different responses to this".

Linda Nash, sister of victim William Nash whose death is not being prosecuted, told the media she felt "let down". Others may take a different view.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.