Congo Ebola center set on fire after armed attack

Ebola treatment centre on fire

Ebola treatment centre on fire

Medical facilities treating Ebola victims in the Democratic Republic of Congo are upgrading security following attacks this week that forced patient evacuations and the closure of two treatment centers, the United Nations World Health Organization (WHO) said in a press release on Thursday.

This is the second such attack in just three days by unknown assailants. Aid workers have faced mistrust in some areas as they work to contain an Ebola outbreak.

The ministry said late Wednesday that 32 of the 38 suspected Ebola patients fled.

The ministry is searching for the four missing patients, who are highly infectious.

PM's former top adviser asks to testify after Wilson-Raybould bombshell
Trudeau said Wednesday he won't resign and has essentially dismissed his former minister's testimony as a fabrication. She said there would be merits in separating the roles of attorney general and justice minister.

Doctors Without Borders, which runs the treatment centre, says it is focusing on the safety of staff and patients.

"Tonight another deplorable attack on an Ebola treatment facility has taken place, this time in the city of Butembo". On Sunday unidentified assailants set fire to a treatment center in the nearby town of Katwa, killing a nurse.

The grants supported by Japan, Germany and Australia, will cover more than half the cost, for the next six months of the DR Congo government's drive to end the current Ebola outbreak. It is believed to have killed at least 553 people so far and infected over 300 more.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.