Facebook, Instagram accounts working after historic outage

A woman prepares to log on to the Facebook website

A woman prepares to log on to the Facebook website

"Yesterday, as a result of a server configuration change, many people had trouble accessing our apps and services", the company said in a tweet.

Facebook shares were trading down 1.7 percent early Thursday afternoon, at $170.50.

The outages affected countless users and advertisers worldwide. Facebook said the issue had been resolved and that it's systems were recovering.

"We made a server configuration change that triggered a cascading series of issues", Facebook says in a story with USA Today.

"We're very sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate everyone's patience", Facebook said.

Lori Loughlin's Daughter Loses Endorsements Over Bribery Scandal
Loughlin is a big presence for Hallmark and its Crown Media Family Networks channels that include the flagship Hallmark Channel. The head of a Silicon Valley hedge fund who became ensnared in a massive college bribery scandal is stepping down.

Facebook and Instagram has been coming back online for most users on March 14, but it appears it's not completely out of the woods yet.

Thursday morning, outage-tracking website DownDetector.com showed a steep drop in reports of Facebook problems between Wednesday and Thursday morning. The outage prompted exasperation from business owners and individuals who rely on Facebook's platforms to communicate, and inspired a flood of derision on Twitter, where some users migrated to stay connected.

"This morning, Pavel Durov, the founder and CEO of the popular instant messaging service Telegram, used his official channel to welcome 3 million new users, he wrote: "I see 3 million new users signed up for Telegram within the last 24 hours", adding" Good.

The outage came the same day that The New York Times reported that federal prosecutors are conducting a criminal investigation into Facebook's data deals with 150 companies, including Sony, Netflix, Spotify and Amazon.

Millions of users were affected, and thousands took to Twitter on Wednesday and Thursday to complain under the hashtag #facebookdown. Facebook said it was working to resolve the issue but didn't announce the fix until Thursday.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.