Indian Wells Masters 2019 - Juan Martin del Potro Withdraws from Tournament

Defending champ Del Potro withdraws from Indian Wells

Defending champ Del Potro withdraws from Indian Wells

He defeated Roger Federer to win his first Masters 1000 title a year ago in the Southern California desert.

After struggling last week in Delray Beach, his first event back from a fractured knee cap, Juan Martin del Potro announced that he will need more time to rehab the injury and won't be able to defend his Indian Wells title next month.

Del Potro said Wednesday through tournament officials that he's been advised to rest by his doctors and he hopes to return to action soon.

Del Potro had already pulled out of this week's Mexican Open in Acapulco, which he won a year ago.

Trudeau to shuffle cabinet after vacancy left by Wilson-Raybould
Trudeau has denied acting inappropriately and said he "completely" disagrees with Wilson-Raybould's "characterization" of events. Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau takes part in a cabinet shuffle at Rideau Hall in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, March 1, 2019.

"Hi everyone! I wanted to give all of you an update that after playing Delray Beach we had various consultations with different specialists, and we decided that I needed to do a regenerative therapy treatment on my knee", Del Potro said in a statement posted on Twitter.

"It is one of my favorite tournaments, and I have incredible memories from previous year, but my doctors have advised me to rest".

In 2018, Juan Martin del Potro had a pronounced victory streak at the Indian Wells and defeated Roger Federer 6-4, 6-7 (8-10), 7-6 (7-2) and by saving three championship points in the title match.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.