Jack de Belin Has Been Stood Down By The NRL

Hayne Walker and de Belin

Hayne Walker and de Belin

St George Illawarra and NSW star De Belin - who has pleaded not guilty to charges of aggravated sexual assault - and other players in similar situations will be allowed to train with their clubs while stood down but not play until the outcome of their court cases are known.

ARLC chairman Peter Beattie has been vocal about the need for change while respected voices such as Australian coach Mal Meninga also feel that it would be the right thing for the game.

The Rugby League Players' Association (RLPA) is unhappy with the policy change, but ruled out industrial action.

Last year, Jarryd Hayne, along with de Belin, were charged with sexual assault, while Manly's Dylan Walker has pleaded not guilty to domestic violence.

"It's all good and well for people to say that it's innocent unless proven guilty and everyone has a right to a fair hearing, but then for the Rugby League to come out and say we are going to ban you for serious crimes and not even tell us which serious crimes fall under that list is just amateurish".

"I stress that the NRL is making no judgement on the guilt or innocence of the player", Mr Greenberg said.

The NRL's changes come after an off-season which has included 17 off-field scandals at a rate of nearly one every 10 days.

No, both the NSWRL AND QRL have confirmed they won't allow player stood down from the NRL to play in reserve grade.

"I do (believe this can change the culture)", Beattie said.

Final battle to liberate last Islamic State village begins after civilians evacuated
Bali said the final batch of civilians had been evacuated from Baghouz on Friday ahead of renewed military activity. Earlier this month, the White House partially reversed itself and said around 400 USA troops would stay.

"The policy has just been made this morning so I wouldn't mind a few minutes just to regroup and consider that the first time I apply discretion under the policy I do it wisely and considered".

"At the end of it all, we've got to have standards and values. This is also about sending a clear message that the game doesn't tolerate violence".

According to Peter Beattie, 15 out of 16 clubs support the new policy.

But the Dragons were still considering their position late on Thursday.

"I'm very supportive of the desire of the NRL to improve player behaviour and propagate the game of rugby league", Dragons chairman Brian Johnston said.

"Above all we're being guided by the legal system, the NRL rules and code of conduct".

"That is a matter we will engage the commission and NRL on in the coming days and weeks, as well as considering our options legally and through the CBA dispute process".

"As always, we will support our members to explore any legal options they may have available to them".

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.