MH370 search resumption backed by Malaysia, but only if leads are 'credible'

Five years on MH370 families band together to seek closure

Five years on MH370 families band together to seek closure

Minister Anthony Loke said the government was awaiting a new proposal from U.S. exploration firm Ocean Infinity or other interested companies to resume the search for the missing plane.

The first was funded by Malaysia, China and Australia and the second was conducted by Ocean Infinity on a no find, no fee basis.

Hundreds of people, including some of the relatives of those on board, gathered at a Kuala Lumpur shopping mall on Sunday to mark the anniversary of the aircraft's disappearance.

A second, three-month hunt by USA exploration firm Ocean Infinity similarly concluded in May a year ago. He said the firm is still reviewing all possible data on Flight 370 and thinking about how it can revive its failed mission.

"I would like to see that we can find the plane and to give closure to the families, " he said.

Loke stressed that if there is a proposal and credible lead, Malaysia is willing to work with them.

The government had offered Ocean Infinity up to A$70 million under such an agreement for its 2018 search.

In July past year, Malaysian authorities said they had failed to determine the cause of the plane's disappearance, though they did rule out several possibilities.

"There must be a proposal from a specific company ... we can not just be out there without credible leads".

Ministers postpone bill debate to avoid likely defeat over tax havens
Mr Mitchell, the former global development secretary, said the amendment would have combatted "money laundering and tax evasion". Speaking in the Commons today, Hodge accused the government of a "blatant, deliberate and arrogant snub" of parliament.

The Beijing-bound MH370 had disappeared from the radar on March 8, 2014 about 40 minutes after taking off from Kuala Lumpur, when someone had turned off the communication systems and changed the aircraft's route, according to official investigation.

A girl has her face painted with a missing plane during a Day of Remembrance for MH370 event in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Sunday, March 3, 2019.

"The disappearance of MH370 and the search effort are unprecedented in commercial aviation history", the Malaysian report said.

But it said there was no evidence of abnormal behaviour or stress in the two pilots that could lead them to hijack the plane. All the other passengers were also cleared by police and had no pilot training.

There is no new search planned, but Transport Minister Anthony Loke said at the event that the government was open to hearing proposals to resume the hunt.

Beachgoers walk past a sand sculpture made by Indian sand artist Sudersan Pattnaik with a message of prayers for the missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370.

"I can not think that a person who has been flying for so long, a very senior pilot, would want to do that".

He said that the Malaysian government welcomes any lead or credible evidence to restart the search.

So far, the only sign of the aircraft has been debris that washed up in eastern Africa and nearby islands, far from where experts believed the flight disappeared.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.