Oil rises on tensions after Middle East tanker attacks

A wooden boat sits on the beach with the Port of Khorfakkan behind it in Khorfakkan United Arab Emirates Saturday

A wooden boat sits on the beach with the Port of Khorfakkan behind it in Khorfakkan United Arab Emirates Saturday

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Sunday that the United States is "considering a full range of options" regarding rising tensions with Iran, including military options, but emphasized that President Donald Trump has said that he does not want to go to war.

He said the attacks were Washington's "Plan B". If he was alluding to Pearl Harbor, it would be one of the most outrageous conspiracy theories voiced, even by the standards of Islamic Republic officials.

Six tankers have been attacked in the Gulf in recent weeks.

"Taken as a whole, these unprovoked attacks present a clear threat to global peace and security, a blatant assault on the freedom of navigation, and an unacceptable campaign of escalating tension by Iran", Pompeo said.

Iranian officials have not clearly and directly presented any evidence to disprove the video evidence, except labelling it "Iran-o-phobic psychological warfare."

Iran has repeatedly warned in the past that it could block the strategic Hormuz Strait in a relatively low-tech, high-impact countermeasure to any attack by the US.

"We have done our own intelligence assessment".

The US Secretary of State stressed that the US gets relatively little of its energy supplies through the strait.

Some allies, sceptical of USA intentions, have said they wanted to see more evidence before reaching a conclusion. "We want to get them back at the table, if they want to go back", he said, referring to USA efforts to open bilateral negotiations on a new nuclear deal with Iran.

Police Chief addresses incident officers violated rights of family
"I assure you that this incident is not representative of the majority of Phoenix police officers who serve this city". While Ames and Harper were not arrested, they were taken to the police station and were detained for quite a while.

In his first public comments regarding the attacks, the powerful Saudi prince, who is also defense minister and oversees all major levers of power in the country, said the incident "confirms the importance of our demands of the worldwide community to take a decisive stance" against Iran's behavior.

An Iranian navy boat tries to stop the fire of an oil tanker after it was attacked in the Gulf of Oman, June 13, 2019.

Iran fired a missile targeting an American MQ9 drone shortly after it arrived in response to a distress signal from the Front Altair tanker, which was damaged in an attack that Washington blames on Tehran.

On Thursday, two tankers - one carrying oil and the other transporting chemicals - were attacked near the strategically important Strait of Hormuz.

In a statement, the Foreign Office said "no other state or non-state actor could plausibly have been responsible" for the incident.

Britain's ambassador to Tehran Rob Macaire, meanwhile, has denied Iranian media reports that he had been summoned to the Foreign Ministry in protest at the UK's "unacceptable anti-Iran stances".

The Kokuka Courageous and a second tanker, the Norwegian Front Altair, are being checked off the coast of the United Arab Emirates. "We are confident that Iran bears responsibility for that attack".

"The intelligence community has lots of data, lots of evidence". Condemning the attack, Hunt said: " Our own assessment leads us to conclude that responsibility for the attacks nearly certainly lies with Iran.

The prince claimed Iran had planned the attack's timing to undercut the Japanese prime minister's diplomatic efforts, during his visit to Tehran last week, to reduce regional tensions.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.