Florida woman dies after contracting flesh-eating bacteria, family says

Lynn Fleming slipped in a small underwater depression when she was taking a stroll with her family in in the west coast of Florida, US.

Lynn Fleming died Wednesday after being put on life support after contracting the bacteria known as necrotizing fasciitis, WTVT reports.

Her son, Wade, and his wife Traci, were there with her.

Lynn Fleming was diagnosed with the flesh-eating disease and died Thursday after suffering two strokes and organ failure, nearly two weeks after her injury.

In the days following her fall in the water, Lynn's condition worsened.

"It seems like a "Lifetime" movie really", Wade said.

Joe Biden denies 'praising racists' at Democratic debate
The critique seemed to catch Biden off guard, leaving him appearing defensive as he struggled for an appropriate response. You know, the voters that the Democrats need to win back if they are to defeat the madness of Trump.

"We love the beach, but I'd like to see some information from the paramedics and lifeguards encouraging immediate treatment for even a small nick if they are swimming, and let people know that, hey, this is a possibility", he said, according to the Miami Herald. "It's just all happening so fast". "You get the open wound while playing at the beach, watch it, take care of it". However, her family says she was never given antibiotics. This picture was from the actually day she got cut. "She loved the ocean; she loved walking on the beach", he told the station. "Unfortunately, this place is very strangely deprived her of life", says daughter Lynn Tracy.

She was diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis, commonly called a flesh-eating bacteria, and had surgeries to try and save her infected leg, Wade said.

Despite its nickname, the bacteria does not actually "eat" the flesh but releases toxins that damage nearby tissue.

"If the bacteria gets into the bloodstream and causes sepsis and multi-system organ damage, then of course the death rate is much higher", said Dr. William Shaffner, infectious disease specialist at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

Symptoms include red or purple skin, sever pain, vomiting and fever.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.