Necrotizing Fasciitis: Flesh-Eating Bacteria In Florida Waters



Traci said it was ironic her mother-in-law had always wanted to live by the beach, but it ended up being what killed her.

"I had a scratch on my leg, and I didn't think anything of it", Amy Barnes told the news outlet. Only to find when I picked him up Tuesday they were a lot bigger and a lot more, ' she added.

Fleming's son, Wade, said his mother retired in Florida and she loved the ocean.

"Please be careful out there guys and if you start seeing wounds such as these please get somewhere fast!"

As of Monday, Carey said her son's pediatrician "is really happy with the healing".

"Nobody still has done a biopsy on it, to this day, so they can not rule it out, that it's not the flesh-eating bacteria; they can not say that it is". People with vibriosis become infected either by consuming raw or undercooked seafood or by exposing an open wound to seawater.

Most vibriosis infections occur during summer and fall when surface waters are relatively warm.

Visitors and residents should take care when swimming in brackish waters or eating raw seafood as there have been two reported cases of people contracting necrotizing fasciitis.

The deadly disease can be caused by different strains of bacteria, like Group A Strep or Vibrio vulnificus.

Users Worldwide Experience Access Problems — Instagram Down Again
Though frustrating, the issues usually resolve within a short period of time and rarely last more than a couple of hours at most. Apart from the users of Instagram , the users of Facebook and WhatsApp also complained regarding the access issue.

Those with the weakened immune systems who have open cuts, or wounds have chances of getting vibrio, but the chances are rare.

"The infection from the bacteria did not reach the point of it causing Necrotising Fasciitis and actually destroying my muscle tissue and arm only because I acted quickly on getting medical treatment", King said.

Paul Gulig, an expert on necrotizing fasciitis and professor of molecular genetics and microbiology at the University of Florida, said that the bacteria is more common in Florida because of the warm water.

Currently, the water temperatures of the entire Delaware Bay is well over 60 degrees.

Earlier this month, a 12-year-old girl contracted necrotizing fasciitis on a beach in Destin and survived after three surgeries.

Lynn Fleming, a 77-year-old woman who had recently retired to Florida's Gulf Coast, was spending time with relatives visiting her from Pittsburgh, Penn., when she stumbled and fell into the water at Coquina Beach on Anna Maria Island.

Barnes' discharge papers diagnosed her with cellulitis, "a rapidly spreading infection of the skin and subcutaneous tissues that can cause shock, organ failure, and death if untreated", according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

In Virginia, officials from the state's Department of Health said as of June 1, there have been four confirmed cases of Vibrio. Later, though, she discovered the wounds had grown larger and increased in number.

In 2016, there 41 confirmed cases of vibrio, but that number more than doubled to 87 past year.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.