Woman dies from flesh-eating infection she got at the beach

Woman dies from flesh-eating infection she got at the beach

Woman dies from flesh-eating infection she got at the beach

A trip to the beach turned deadly after a 77-year-old Ellenton woman contracted flesh-eating bacteria.

Lynn Fleming was walking along the seafront with her family a fortnight ago when she slipped in a small underwater depression. According to her family, she was hospitalized a day after the injury after falling ill, and was given a tetanus shot and a prescription-but no antibiotics.

Lynn Fleming was diagnosed with the flesh-eating disease and died Thursday after suffering two strokes and organ failure, nearly two weeks after her injury.

Coquina Beach is south of Tampa.

She was told she had been infected by the flesh-eating bacteria, Necrotizing fasciitis.

"You get the open wound while playing at the beach, watch it, take care of it", he said.

Fleming was reportedly surrounded by her son and daughter-in-law when she died.

Lynn Fleming's death follows the case of a 12-year-old girl from IN, who scraped her toe and contracted the same rare bacteria while vacationing last month IN a Florida Panhandle beach. She had no unusual symptoms, and they went out with friends that evening.

Racist Border Patrol Facebook group confirms all your worst suspicions
The agency said it immediately contacted the Department of Homeland Security's inspector general and "initiated an investigation". The children also did not have access to soap and toothbrushes, and most had not showered since they crossed the southern border.

Traci said: "She couldn't wait to get down here and retire", she said.

Lynn Fleming had two strokes and kidney failure.

"Unfortunately, it's the place that took her life by freak accident".

In the days following her fall in the water, Lynn's condition worsened.

"If the bacteria gets into the bloodstream and causes sepsis and multi-system organ damage, then of course the death rate is much higher", said Dr. William Shaffner, infectious disease specialist at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

Her family hopes that by sharing her story, they can educate others and save lives.

Doctors say after several surgeries and months of therapy, she should be back to normal. "Up to a third of people who have this serious infection can die from it". The bacteria thrives in water that stays above 55 degrees year-round.

"Fortunately, flesh-eating bacterial infections are not common", Shaffner said.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.