Elizabeth Schneider: Coronavirus Survivor Shares Symptoms

A boy wears a mask as he waits for the start of the first One-day International cricket match between India and South Africa amid coronavirus fears at Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association Stadium in Dharamsala India

A boy wears a mask as he waits for the start of the first One-day International cricket match between India and South Africa amid coronavirus fears at Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association Stadium in Dharamsala India

Elizabeth Schneider lives in Seattle, the biggest city in state which also has the highest coronavirus death rate in the United States, with 31 people dead.

Schneider told the AFP that she hoped her story - which likely will be typical of a vast majority of coronavirus cases - could be a comfort to others.

Elizabeth is 37-years-old and has completed a PhD in bioengineering.

Schneider, who is in her mid-30s, said her symptoms included a headache, a fever, severe body aches and joint pain, fatigue, and some nausea. "I did", Schneider wrote from her FB account. I had a fever that spiked the first night to 103-degrees Fahrenheit and eventually came down to 100 and then low grade 99.5.

"At this point, we were all getting a little frustrated that they weren't allowed to be tested for coronavirus, or the doctor wasn't even suggesting" they be tested for it, Schneider said. She took over-the-counter medication and her fever started to come down.

The novel coronavirus outbreak is being shrouded in myths and rumours. Of the 1,635 cases reported in the country since the Covid-19 first appeared in January, 457 of them are in Washington, including 41 deaths.

Indeed, the outlet said, Washington has become the US epicenter for coronavirus, with more than 260 cases and at least two dozen deaths, compared to nationwide stats of more than 1,100 cases and 30 deaths.

Still, Schneider and her friends weren't tested for the coronavirus, she said. She also revealed how her some friends who were in their 40s and 50s had slightly different symptoms than she had.

She, however, added that elderly people normally have underlying health conditions and they take more time to recover in case they get infected.

United Kingdom confirms rise of COVID-19 cases to 798
The youngest was in his late 70s and the oldest in his 90s. "All 10 individuals were in the at-risk groups. So far 71,718 people have totally recovered.

Some of the party attendees saw doctors, who determined they didn't have the flu but also didn't offer coronavirus tests, since they - like Schneider - weren't coughing or having trouble breathing, the outlet said.

"So, a group of us who got sick from the party, we all submitted nasal swab sample and.a week ago today, I got a call from the flu study saying my sample had tested positive".

"I was a little bit pleasantly surprised, because I thought it was a little bit cool", Schneider admitted, laughing, though her mother cried when she told her.

"The two could be entirely unrelated based on the viral strain and viral load that I received", she said. "So, I just thought I had contracted a nasty flu". This is not medical advice: I'm simply sharing what I did and correlating it with the fact that I had no respiratory symptoms.

Schneider, who works as a marketing manager at a biotechnology company, attended a party on February 22, and started experiencing flu-like symptoms three days later.

Elizabeth Schneider began to feel unwell at work in late February.

She completely quarantined herself at her home and it's been a week since she has started feeling better. The remaining cases that needed hospitalization affected mainly citizens over the age of 60 and those with pre-existing conditions such as diabetes, heart disease or lung disease.

Schneider had attended a house party with a group of friends just three days prior to falling ill.

In the USA, 80 per cent of cases have been mild and the remaining 20 per cent had to be hospitalised because they were mainly elders or people who had an underlying medical condition like heart diseases, diabetes etc.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.