Mobile World Congress Barcelona 2020 is Canceled

"The GSMA and the host city partners will continue to be working in unison and supporting each other for MWC Barcelona 2021 and future editions", the statement said.

Before the cancellation, Chinese smartphone giants Huawei Technologies, Oppo, Xiaomi Corp and ZTE Corp were expected to take part in MWC Barcelona, but with a smaller contingent, according to persons with knowledge of the matter. Major companies including Amazon, Deutsche Telekom, Ericsson, Facebook, HMD, Intel, LG, Nokia, NTT Docomo, Vivo, Sony and Sprint have already pulled out of MWC 2020.

The Coronavirus that originated in the Wuhan district in China has been declared as a "public health emergency" by the World Health Organisation (WHO).

So far, Spain has only registered two confirmed cases of infection, one in the Canary Islands and one in Mallorca in the Balearic Islands. "While the GSMA confirm some large exhibitors have decided not to come to the show this year with others still contemplating next steps, we remain more than 2,800 exhibitors strong".

What does this mean for new phones?

However, many vendors who withdrew from the show still plan on making MWC-related product announcements. Let us know in the comments.

New coronavirus cases drop to lowest amid crisis
However, Conte denied planning to keep the lockdown in place until that date, saying he hoped to loosen curbs "well before then". On Monday the government closed all businesses not deemed to be essential to the nation's supply chain of vital requirements.

Will MWC 2020 be rescheduled?

John Hoffman, GSMA Chief Executive, said the decision to cancel the show was a "huge disappointment". "MWC is an anchor event for many and now they face the challenge of having to figure out the best way to salvage something from this hard situation".

Wood said, "The GSMA now needs to be careful that there is not a knock-on effect from this year's cancellation". "Nokia plans to go directly to customers with a series of "Nokia Live" events aimed at showcasing the industry-leading demos and launches scheduled for MWC", the Finnish company said in a statement, setting out its alternative plans.

"This is particularly true for smaller business that have had to swallow numerous costs from this year's show".

So there will still be private events organized at MWC 2020 as mentioned above, but the situation is still very much evolving, so I'd not be surprised if things change in the next few days. Despite how it may appear, or the news that filtered out yesterday, MWC 2020 isn't canceled.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.