Wayne Rooney’s intoxication arrest ‘due to sleeping tablet disorientation’

Wayne Rooney was taken into custody on 16 December in Virginia officials said

Wayne Rooney was taken into custody on 16 December in Virginia officials said

Rooney last played for England in November last year - a friendly against the United States of America in what became a defacto testimonial two years after his last full England game.

Soccer star Wayne Rooney was arrested last month at a Washington-area airport on a charge of public intoxication, authorities said Sunday.

Rooney retired from the England squad and left his boyhood club Everton before heading over to the United States previous year - just months after he pleaded guilty to drink driving after a night out.

Court documents show that Rooney, 33, was released after paying a $25 ($NZ37) fine and $91 ($NZ135) costs. The matter is now at an end.

"We understand the media's interest in this matter but we believe this is a private matter for Wayne that DC United will handle internally", the team said.

The new MLS season is due to start in early March, with DC United's opening game of the campaign coming against 2018 champions Atlanta United.

Khashoggi's murder: Saudi Arabia holds initial hearing
Pompeo's visit also comes at a time when USA troops are being pulled out of Syria on the directions of President Donald Trump. The State Department said Pompeo will visit eight countries in the region, starting with Jordan and ending in Kuwait.

"Wayne Rooney was arrested and detained at Dulles airport following a long flight from Saudi Arabia after a one-day promotional business trip", the spokesman said in a statement.

He made an immediate impact at Audi Field, scoring 12 goals in 21 matches to help lift the side from the bottom of MLS' Eastern Conference to secure a playoff place.

Speaking to Sky News last August upon his arrival to the USA, he said he was relieved about not being a recognisable face in America.

Rooney is serving a two-year British drink driving ban stemming from a September 2017 arrest in England. He pleaded guilty and received a two-year driving ban and paid a £170 fine.

After a return to Everton, he transferred to DC United and made his debut on July 14 past year.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.