Counter terrorism investigation in London, UK, after explosives found

London Police Waterloo

London Police Waterloo

The statement reads: "The Met Police Counter Terrorism Command has launched an investigation after three suspicious packages were received at buildings in London".

Police said they're "keeping an open mind" regarding motives for the latest incidents while calling on other London transport hubs to be vigilant.

The packages were discovered at Waterloo Station, London City Airport and an office building in Heathrow Airport. This resulted in part of the package burning. Just one of the packages did ignite, at Heathrow, ignited, but no one was injured. The building has been evacuated as a precaution. Nobody was injured in the incident, and specialist officers attended to make the device safe.

The Docklands Light Railway was suspended to London City Airport and all road access to the airport was closed for around two hours, although flights were still landing and walking access was possible.

The source told the Daily Telegraph: "At least one of the packages had a Dublin postmark on it and we are linking the three packages".

The source of the images was not immediately clear. Flights at Heathrow were not affected.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan thanked first responders "for their swift actions to keep Londoners safe".

Dan Carter return to Racing 92 off due to medical reasons
Racing 92 has released a statement to confirm Carter, who will turn 37 on Tuesday, will not be joining the club. Their opinion was unanimous: "Dan Carter can't play rugby in France", said a statement.

The British counter-terrorist unit found explosive charges on Tuesday at Heathrow Airport in London, City Airport, and the central Waterloo train station.

While there was only one high-profile United Kingdom terror-related incident in 2018, when a auto plowed into the Houses of Parliament, London has been an all too frequent target in recent years.

The third turned up inside City Aviation House at London City Airport around 12:20 p.m., prompting the evacuation of that building, as well as temporary suspension of an air tram.

Most of Waterloo Station remained in operation; when contacted by Arab News, several shops were not even aware of the incident and one said they were trading as normal.

The second was found in the mail room at busy Waterloo Station, a major rail and Underground hub at 1140. "A small cordon is in place".

Train services at Waterloo are still running as normal. The building has since opened.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.