Barcelona won't cancel Mobile World Congress despite fears over coronavirus

Franco-Italian chipmaker STMicroelectronics also joined the list of absentees on Wednesday, scheduled to take place on February 24-27.

Canalys' Peng said many companies, both big and small, may need some time to recover from losses incurred in the canceled event in Barcelona.

The GSMA has banned attendees from China's Hubei Province, where the coronavirus outbreak began, and required others to prove that they had been outside the country for at least two weeks prior to the event.

STMicroelectronics has been closely following the situation related to the novel coronavirus outbreak in China and has taken a number of precautionary measures to ensure the health and safety of its employees worldwide.

Many countries are now enforcing or recommending curfews or lockdowns.

Ontario Real Estate Association cancels all open houses
Collins said he noticed a few were held this past weekend, but added several advertised open houses were cancelled . Many municipalities across Ontario have also declared a state of emergency.

Following a series of crisis meetings on Wednesday afternoon, the industry association GSMA, organizer of the MWC, has made a decision to cancel the event completely for this year. However, the coronavirus outbreak and fear of the illness spreading through the show's venue prompted numerous leading electronics vendors, including LG, Amazon, Intel, and Nvidia, to cancel their attendance. Against this background, the organisers also expressed their concern.

The convention, originally scheduled for February 24 to 27, was shelved "with due regard to the safe and healthy environment in Barcelona and the host country", said John Hoffman, CEO of organizer GSMA, in a Wednesday press release, adding that "the global concern regarding the coronavirus outbreak, travel concern and other circumstances, make it impossible to hold the event".

Ben Wood, Chief of Research, CCS Insight, said: "The GSMA has been a victim of circumstances out of its control and it's a huge disappointment the show will not go ahead this year".

In today's announcement, the GSMA also noted it wanted to keep Barcelona, the host city for MWC, safe from the illness.

The organisation may have to bear the cost of a full cancellation unless the Spanish government changes its position on the coronavirus and moves to declare a health alert. The show is estimated to be worth about €500m (£420m) to the city and provides 14,000 part-time jobs for local workers.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.