University of MI won't change investigation into abuse

Attorney General Dana Nessel talks to reporters last year

Attorney General Dana Nessel talks to reporters last year

Three former athletes at the University of MI have filed lawsuits against the school, alleging that a late doctor sexually assaulted them while the men were members of the football and hockey teams in the 1980s.

Numerous men have alleged that Dr. Robert Anderson sexually assaulted them while they were members of the football, hockey and wrestling teams in the 1980s.

Tad Deluca, who wrestled for MI in the 1970s, said at a news conference last week that he alerted his former coach and former athletic director to Anderson's abuse in 1975.

The school announced last week that it had received more than 100 complaints about Anderson since mid-February.

The lawsuit alleges that the university was warned several times that Anderson was a predator - the first being in 1968 - by an undergraduate student. "Clearly, the answer this morning is, 'No, we won't, '" John Manly, an attorney for more than 50 accusers, told The Associated Press.

Separately, two men spoke at a news conference in Ypsilanti to detail their own allegations.

JP DesCamp says he was 22 years old in 1973 when General Motors sent him to see Dr. Robert Anderson for a physical to keep his flight status. DesCamp said he later learned that co-workers refused to see Anderson because "word about Dr. Drop-your-drawers Anderson was out".

Superintendent Jeanice Swift issued a statement regarding Anderson's involvement in the district after media and UM police reports indicated Anderson might have volunteered to provide physicals for students in the district. Connelley said the first time was when he saw Anderson for a sore throat.

Anderson worked at the university from 1966 until his retirement. That letter eventually prompted a police investigation that found some former university employees missed warning signs about Anderson. Another man's lawsuit identified him as an All State football player in high school who was a member of the MI team from 1981 through 1985.

The third lawsuit was filed on behalf of a man who was a member of the hockey team from 1983 until 1984 on an athletic scholarship.

The school released this statement Wednesday to 7 Action News after the first lawsuit was filed.

R. Kelly: Singer pleads not guilty to updated sex abuse charges
And though he's always been jailed in Chicago, lawyers are working on his behalf in all three locations. Kelly is said to have met the girl in either 1997 or 1998 when she was 14 or 15-years-old.

The statement came in response to calls by accusers and their lawyers for Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel to investigate.

"If the university were to waive its privilege and fully corporate we would still require an appropriation from the legislature to fund our investigative efforts", The Attorney General said.

"University of MI regents, if you're listening to me right now, hear what I'm telling you", Nessel said. "The board of regents' failure to allow the attorney general to conduct a full and complete investigation suggest the current administration is hiding something, too".

Messages seeking comment were left with a spokeswoman at the University of MI and the eight members of the board of regents.

"The university engaged a firm with deep expertise to conduct an independent, thorough, and unflinching review of the facts - wherever they may lead", university spokesman Rick Fitzgerald said in a statement last week.

Cox said his law firm in suburban Detroit represents about 20 people, including former MI football and hockey players along with wrestlers, all willing to file lawsuits against the school.

Stinar is calling on the MI attorney general's office to investigate allegations of abuse against Anderson.

In a statement the University of MI sent to FOX 47, the school stated they have agreed to share their independent firm's report. The man, identified only as John Doe, accused the university of failing to remove the doctor despite complaints about him.

An attorney general's office investigation into Nassar and Michigan State, which began under Nessel's predecessor, has been at an impasse. Manly, who represented many of Nassar's victims, said University of MI regents should quickly agree to Nessel's request.

She says if that happens, then the investigation will begin, but not without some hurdles.

Recommended News

  • Trump campaign sues CNN for libel, seeking millions of dollars

    The New York Times , Washington Post and CNN have all been frequent targets of Mr Trump's Twitter attacks against the press. The statements by the CNN, were and are 100 per cent false and defamatory, Jenna Ellis, Senior Legal Adviser to Donald J.
    Maine CDC to begin testing at state lab

    Maine CDC to begin testing at state lab

    The report comes amid a rise in U.S. cases as the virus continues to spread across the country. There have been no confirmed cases of coronavirus in ME as of Thursday, officials said.
    Celine Dion is taking fashion risks during tour

    Celine Dion is taking fashion risks during tour

    Freida Solomon was visiting NY this week when she spotted Dion, who is in town for a series of concerts, exiting the Four Seasons Hotel.
  • Ethiopian draft report blames Boeing for 737 MAX plane crash

    Ethiopian draft report blames Boeing for 737 MAX plane crash

    It's possible the US National Transportation Safety Board could request changes to the report or offer a dissenting opinion. Boeing has racked up nearly $20bn (£15bn) in charges since the grounding, and in January halted production of the jet .
    Korea reports 438 new Covid-19 cases, less than yesterday

    Korea reports 438 new Covid-19 cases, less than yesterday

    South Korean officials met the USA ambassador in Seoul on Wednesday to urge the United States not to limit travel. Similar zones have been declared around neighboring Daegu and Cheongdo county in North Gyeongsang.

    First school closure in Sydney after a student tested positive for coronavirus

    More than 70 Australians have tested positive to the coronavirus, with figures expected to continue climbing across the country. Meanwhile, four more Australians have been caught up in another cruise ship coronavirus emergency off the coast of California.
  • Italy Puts Large Parts of North on Coronavirus Lockdown

    Italy Puts Large Parts of North on Coronavirus Lockdown

    But some local Italian politicians have pushed back against the measures, which leaked out before regional governors were consulted.
    Rush on toilet paper: Coronavirus sparks panic buying in Australia

    Rush on toilet paper: Coronavirus sparks panic buying in Australia

    NSW Police acting inspector Andrew New says such violence "won't be tolerated", and people could end up before the courts. A mother and daughter jostled with another shopper at the Chullora Woolworths.
    China reports 27 new coronavirus deaths in lowest rise since January

    China reports 27 new coronavirus deaths in lowest rise since January

    First detected in Wuhan, China in December, the virus, officially known as COVID-19, has spread to more than 80 countries. The total nationwide number of cases that originated outside China reached 60 as of the end of Friday.
  • WhatsApp Dark Mode: How to enable on Android, iOS; supported phones

    WhatsApp Dark Mode: How to enable on Android, iOS; supported phones

    Once the Dark mode is enabled on your iPhone, WhatsApp will show dark chat bubbles and a dark version of the chosen wallpaper. We revealed a month ago that it was on the cards for WhatsApp , and today it's turning out on both Android and iOS gadgets.
    Coronavirus: Italy imposes quarantine on millions

    Coronavirus: Italy imposes quarantine on millions

    The head of the civil protection agency said earlier the new legislation is expected to be approved later on Saturday. The outbreak has killed more than 3,400 people worldwide and spread across more than 90 nations outside China.
    Total Infected With Coronavirus In The Republic Rises To 19

    Total Infected With Coronavirus In The Republic Rises To 19

    Three more conoravirus cases have been diagnosed in Northern Ireland, taking the total number of cases in the province to seven. This challenge is going escalate as the number of cases here rise.

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.