Northern Ontario Leading Way In COVID-19 Prevention

Ontario has 313 new COVID-19 cases as infection numbers jump to highest level since early June

Ontario has 313 new COVID-19 cases as infection numbers jump to highest level since early June

Earlier on Monday, the province reported 313 cases, the highest numbers since early June, which Ford said is cause for concern and, if needed, further shutdowns are possible.

Linamar is working with fellow Ontario companies Bombardier and O-Two Medical Technologies to make 10,000 e700 ventilators, the province said in a news release.

Ford attributes the rise in positive cases to large social gatherings and people ignoring public health guidelines. "It's not bars per se or restaurants".

"I'm begging you, just cut out the social gatherings. We have to make sure we remain vigilant".

Premier Doug Ford and Deputy Premier and Health Minister Christine Elliott said in the daily Queen's Park briefing it was too early to say if the sudden, serious surge is the beginning of a second wave, but Ford said if numbers continue to rise, Ontarians should expect to see a second wave of the deadly virus. "People have worked so hard to get us to this point, but if we have to, we will", she said. Yes, we need to address this, but I think we should put this into perspective.

"But I think it's fair to say that the second wave is going to be more complicated and more hard to deal with than the first wave".

67 per cent of today's cases are in people under the age of 40.

Federal cabinet shifts retreat focus to COVID-19
Singh and the NDP have the power to bring down the government this fall. Parliament is set to resume with a throne speech on September 23.

"Over the next day or two we are going to be rolling out announcements for the regions that are affected", he said.

"We don't want to have to shut things down or lock things down again, but it is absolutely essential that people continue to follow these rules".

Despite being prepared, a second wave would be "more complicated and hard to deal with", said Elliott due to the incoming flu season and reduced hospital capacity as staff have to also tend to former long-term care home residents and a backlog of surgeries postponed earlier this summer due to the first wave.

"We also have a reduced capacity in our hospitals because we have a number of people who were in long term care homes, but because they've had to halve their capacity for infection prevention and control, they're back in hospital", she explained.

Elliott said hospital surgeries will not be halted and will continue to meet a backlog said to be as high as 180,000 files in the province.

Tam said her public health counterparts say the situation is now "manageable".

"Without continued vigilance, [Sunday's] isolated outbreaks in Toronto, Peel, York and Ottawa could easily spread throughout communities right across Ontario", Dale said. "The only question is how bad is it coming", Ford said during the press conference on Monday.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.