Buckingham Palace investigating after Meghan accused of bullying staff

Meghan Markle smiling

Meghan Markle smiling

Buckingham Palace said Wednesday it would investigate allegations that Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, bullied several staff members after a British media report cited unnamed royal aides saying a complaint had been made against her in 2018.

According to the report in The Times, the complaint was made in October 2018 by the couple's former communications secretary Jason Knauf who claimed that Meghan compelled two personal assistants to quit their jobs and undermined the confidence of a third staff member.

"The Royal Household has had a Dignity at Work policy in place for a number of years and does not and will not tolerate bullying or harassment in the workplace", it said.

Meanwhile, other internet users also expressed disappointment about how the allegations came afloat ahead of Meghan's tell-all with Oprah Winfrey.

To which, Meghan replied saying that they can not expect her and Prince Harry to "just be silent".

It alleges there had been "report after report" of "unacceptable behaviour" by Meghan towards a staff member.

Harry shared a similar sentiment in an interview that aired last week with "The Late Late Show" host James Corden, saying he and Meghan left a "toxic" media environment in the United Kingdom.

They said: "There are far more important things we have been focused on than the circus around a media interview".

Palace aides branded allegations they had leaked the claims as "untrue" and "disingenuous".

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry looking toward cameras
Chris Jackson Getty Images

"The Duchess is saddened by this latest attack on her character, particularly as someone who has been the target of bullying herself and is deeply committed to supporting those who have experienced pain and trauma", a spokesperson for Meghan said in response to The Times' story.

Lawyers for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex told the newspaper it was "being used by Buckingham Palace to peddle a wholly false narrative" before the interview with Oprah.

The tax-paying public, who funded much of the wedding, must feel bemused by the couple's deals with Netflix and Spotify, and the cascade of appearances, after they fled in search of privacy.

The royal household will be braced for the show's revelations as the couple discuss their life within the royal family and their exit from the working monarchy.

CBS has already offered a glimpse of what to expect from the conversation, with Prince Harry revealing that life has been "incredibly tough" for him and Markle in the shadow of the British press.

"I don't know what Meghan Markle said in her Oprah interview, but what's very clear is how anxious the United Kingdom is that she's about to air them out".

ITV has won the bidding war to air the interview in the United Kingdom, with the network announcing on Good Morning Britain on Wednesday that it would be screening the programme next Monday.

In addition, it said Meghan wants to "continue her work building compassion around the world".

In reference to his mother, Princess Diana, he adds: "I'm just really relieved and happy to be sitting here talking to you with my wife by my side because I can't begin to imagine what it was like for her going through this process by herself all those years ago".

Crisis deepens for Cuomo; AG wants to lead harassment probe
The referral letter allows James to deputize an outside law firm to conduct the inquiry with full subpoena power. Cuomo has not held a public event since the first allegation came out last week.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.