New charges filed against three men accused of MI governor kidnapping plot

Militia members intended to blow up bridge as part of kidnap plot against Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer: Prosecutors

Militia members intended to blow up bridge as part of kidnap plot against Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer: Prosecutors

Three men who face accusations in a failed plot to kidnap Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer are now charged with conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction.

A grand jury in the Western District of MI court added new charges against the 40-year-old Fox and 45-year-old Croft, along with another defendant, 23-year-old Daniel Harris. The US Attorney's Office that filed the charges accuses the three of aiming to use the devices for "harming and hindering the governor's security detail and any responding law enforcement officers" amid the plot to kidnap Whitmer.

Adam Fox (top right), Barry Croft (bottom center) and Daniel Joseph Harris (bottom left) allegedly tried to use devices to blow up a bridge near Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's northern MI home. Prosecutors have added charges against three of the six plotters.

The superseding indictment also alleges that on September 13, 2020 in Lake County, Michigan, Croft and Harris knowingly possessed a destructive device that was not registered to them in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record as required by federal law. It said Harris also possessed an unregistered semiautomatic assault rifle.

Police 'executed' Black man in North Carolina shooting, lawyers say
Seven sheriff's deputies involved in the incident have been placed on administrative leave , Mr Wooten's office said last week. Attorneys and family of Brown said they were only allowed to see a 20-second snippet of body cam footage of the man's death.

The next day, Fox ordered $4,000 worth of explosives for an undercover Federal Bureau of Investigation agent posing as a co-conspirator, the indictment said.

Garbin pleaded guilty in December and faces life in prison as do the five others if found guilty of the kidnap conspiracy charges. Garbin faces up to life in prison for his conviction and awaits sentencing.

Croft and Harris were also charged Wednesday with knowingly possessing a destructive device not registered to them in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record.

Eight other men who were accused of taking part in the kidnapping plot have been charged in MI state court with domestic terrorism and are also characterized by prosecutors as members or associates of the Wolverine Watchmen.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.